Missouri Pest Monitoring Network
True Armyworm I.D.
Identification of moth
(stage attracted to and captured in traps)
- Wingspan averages 1.5 inches.
- Grayish-brown forewings with a white spot near the center of each wing.
- Grayish-white hind wings
Identification of larvae (damaging stage)
- Greenish brown with a narrow, mid-dorsal stripe
- Yellowish head honeycombed with dark lines
- White-bordered, orange line down each side of the body
- Large, single dark spot at the base of each of the 4 of fleshy abdominal prologs
- Use the orange lines and dark spots at base of prologs to differentiate true armyworm larvae from other armyworm larvae